Friday, March 16, 2012

Johny Hendriks Is Hoping He Is “One Win Away” From A UFC Title Shot





  • 0
     

UFC welterweight Johny Hendricks (12-1) is riding a three fight win streak and is coming off the biggest win over his career after stopping Jon Fitch via twelve-second knockout last December.
That win has helped propel Hendricks into a fight versus former UFC contender Josh Koscheck, a teammate of Fitch’s.
Both men are set to meet in the co-main event of this May’s UFC on FOX 3 card from the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Hendriks feels he’s “one win away” from securing himself a title shot in the UFC’s stacked 170-lbs division.
Speaking to Heavy.com, Hendricks talks about his fight with Koscheck, training, hunting coyotes, World of Warcraft and his daughters. Be sure to hit the link to read the entire interview.
Here’s an excerpt:
What’s your take on the UFC welterweight picture, where do you see yourself in there?
JH: I see myself right there – one win away hopefully. If I can go in there and do a good show in this fight I know that I’m gonna be right there to get the belt. And it’s sort of messed up because a couple guys are out, but other than that I think it’s great.
Your last fight you knocked out Jon Fitch in an incredible 12 seconds. Do you feel like that fight changed your life? Think more people know your name?
JH: Yes. I knew what I could do and I believed in myself. Whenever I was sitting there and I got that opportunity, I knew I couldn’t waste it. There are some tough, tough guys in the division. With a tough division, you have to go in there and do the best you can with an opportunity like that. That opportunity came at me and I thought there were two things that can happen. 1 – You can get swallowed up by the pressure and expectations and who you’re fighting. 2 – You can take that and make it your own.