Friday, March 16, 2012

Featherweight Veteran Mike Brown Content To Heal Before Taking Next Fight


Former WEC featherweight champ Mike Brown (25-8) had his latest bout announced this past week as he is set to face Daniel Pineda this May on the undercard of UFC 146.
Brown hasn’t seen the inside of the Octagon since last August when he snapped a two-fight losing skid by earning a decision over Nam Phan at UFC 133.
Those two losses, both of which came in January of last year, losing to a split decision to Diego Nunes at UFC 125 and then a decision to Rani Yahya just three weeks later at the Fight for the Troops 2 show.
Looking back, the 36-year old now realizes that he needs to take time between fights and is currently recovering from previous surgeries to his left hand and knee.
Brown spoke about his upcoming fight, as well as his injuries, recovery, and training at age thirty-six as a guest on “The MMA Hour with Mauro Ranallo” on Thursday.
“I’m just taking my time now, waiting until I feel good to fight and not trying to rush things, not trying to fight a bunch of times a year just to get paid,” Brown told Mauro Ranallo on The MMA Show. “I’m just trying to enjoy things now — that’s what I’m doing and it’s keeping me healthier that way.”
“Having injuries and training through them, having surgery and having a fight right after,” Brown said of the reasons why he hasn’t been able to maintain his health. “This time I had my knee scoped in January but I’m giving myself time, not going back into the gym the first day after surgery, letting it rehab and stuff, letting it work in better.”
Also appearing on the Canadian podcast were Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney, Bellator heavyweight Eric Prindle, Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier, Team Quest coach Matt Lindland and No Hold’s Barred Eddie Goldman.