Friday, December 10, 2010

K-1 WGP 2010: Can The Reem Be Stopped?

 
December 10, 2010 - Tokyo, Japan - The press conference for the most prestigious event in all of martial arts, the FieLDS 2010 K-1 World Grand Prix, was once again held in the ANA InterContinental Hotel.
The Galaxy Room was packed to beyond capacity, with fans and team mates cheering for their favorite. As usual, particular favorites of the crowd were Gohkan Saki, Errol Zimmermann and Alistair Overeem.
For the first time since the Bob Sapp era began, the press conference was back to the mutually respectful ways of the late 90's. Gone was the pushing, shoving and verbal threats. Also absent were the challenges to MMA matches, or any MMA talk at all for that matter. The 8 men making up the tournament all appeared to be so confident that they'd leave their talking for the ring.
They were introduced in order, and as tradition has it, all asked to make a comment. Late-arriver Might Mo was the first one up after quickly signing a handful of posters to be used in giveaways for the fans. "I shed a few pounds to see if I can run from his kicks. We'll see what happens. When I fought Josh Barnet I was 330lb, and now I am 275lb. I got the 6 pack but it is still hiding a little. I trained really hard for this fight. You got to be able to take the punishment of this sport. Hopefully I can take something back to American, Mo style," said the hard-hitting Samoan. The ever cheerful Peter Aerts will be his first opponent. Aerts will be fighting in his 17th WGP, and is striving to even the number of straps he has with the likes of Ernest Hoost and Semmy Schilt. Aerts is one man that doesn't let the pressure get to him though. After spending yesterday passing gas and burning ear hair in enclosed rooms (before leaving himself) while other fighters were being interviewed, today he joyfully stated he would try to and knock his good friends head off and followed that up with a promise to be drunk for a week if he wins the title: all followed by his trademark laugh.
The reigning champion was next to the microphone, and as usual he stated how pleased he was to be here, and that he would try to take a record breaking fifth title this year. His opponent is the counter-punching Japanese hopeful, Kyotaro. It is his first time ever to qualify for the Finals. "It has been my dream to make the Best 8 since I was a high school student, so I am very happy to be here. Tomorrow, I want to break down another wall, and pump up Japan with my victory," he said. He went on to comment on Semmy's size, "I tried to avoid seeing him, but I took a glance and I feel like he is even bigger than he was last time. Anyway, I've got to try and stop him."
Two of the hardest and most technical low-kickers in the lineup were next to the podium. The Turk and the Romanian spent almost 5 minutes trying to stare each other down before having two FEG staff separate them. This will be Gohkan Saki's second shot at the belt, while Daniel Ghita is making his first attempt. Saki went first and said, "I'm back in the Final 8. I feel good. I trained in Thailand for 10 days for this. I wish Daniel Ghita good luck, but I promise you all I am going to be the outstanding one tomorrow." The ever-unflappable Ghita simply said, "I'm glad to be here in the Final 8. I want to show you a nice fight tomorrow."
The most talked about fighter in the world these days then came out to face off with the fighter nearly all of Holland calls the best fighter they've produced. Alistair Overeem looked supremely confident when he said, "My condition is excellent. I am very excited for tomorrow. I want to wish all the guys luck," with a smirk on his face. Tyrone Spong isn't one for making big promises, and he humbly thanked his trainers for their help in preparing him for the event before joking that he may retire if he wins the title.
What a lineup the 2010 WGP is! Literally any one of the 8 combatants has some chance of taking home the belt and crown.
The reserve fight for this tournament is between the flashy Golden Glory fighter, Errol Zimmermann and the God in Kyokushin, Ewerton Teixeira. Errol admitted that this year has been a really bad one for him, but he said he hoped someone would drop out of the WGP so he could win it. Ewerton, looking as calm as I have ever seen him just said, "I trained very hard for the fight tomorrow and I am confident in my ability to win it."
Additionally we have the retirement fight of long time K-1 regular, Yusuke Fujimoto. After failing to cut enough weight to revamp his career in MAX, the muscular Japanese fighter rebuilt his body, and has decided to end his career at this event. "This is my retirement fight. I am happy they've put it on such a prestigious card. I'll do my best," he said with almost a look of relief on his face. Knowing his opponent, I guess I must have read his expression wrongly. Hesdy Gerges is still upset about his last fight where he hurt Semmy Schilt more than anyone ever has over 3 rounds. "Tomorrow I will fight Fujimoto. This fight will be the end of his career, so I will give him a good bye that he'll never forget," he said with a menacing look in his eye.
Rounding out the card we have a Superfight between the Japanese speaking Indian, Singh "HEART" Jaideep and the proud Russian, Sergey Kharitonov. "I've trained hard for the fight tomorrow, so I hope it will show in the ring tomorrow," said Jaideep. Sergey Kharitonov reiterated that his goal for next year was to be one of the fighters that make up the Best 8.
The event will be held at the Ariake Colosseum in Tokyo, Japan. The doors open at 15:00 with the event starting at 16:00, and the undercard fight taking place from 16:15. Tickets will be available to buy at the Colosseum from 14:00. If you can't attend live, it is going to be broadcast to 130 countries! Check your local listings for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment