Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dominick Cruz Can’t Wait To Smash Scott Jorgensen At WEC 53

Dominick_CruzWith the last World Extreme Cagefighting event taking place this Thursday, WEC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz (16-1) is looking forward to defending his title for a second straight time in order to become the first UFC bantamweight champ.
In order to do that, he’ll have to defeat Scott Jorgensen (11-3) when the two meet in the co-main event of WEC 53: Henderson vs. Pettis in Glendale, Arizona. For Cruz, it’s something that he’s looking forward too, in fact it’s all he can think about.
“I ain’t thinking about nothing other than smashing Scott Jorgensen,” Cruz said. “That’s it, that’s all that’s in my head, period. He’s one of the top five in the division and that’s what I’m most happy about fighting him. He’s got a real in-your-face style. He’s just in your face with pressure, with good steady boxing and his hands have gotten a lot quicker (recently). That’s one thing I’ve noticed … The best way to explain Jorgensen is probably like a grimy fighter. You know, he’s the kind of guy that when you hit him he kind of gets more into the fight. And as each round goes on he starts to feel more and more comfortable in the cage. I’m very similar to that and I see this fight very similar in a lot of ways in that sense that we’re both getting stronger as the fight goes on.
“So I think it’s just going to be an awesome fight. He’s got a wicked guillotine. He’s proved that in all of his fights pretty much, so guillotine defense is going to be key. In order for me to win this fight I just need to do as I’ve done before, take the pace of the fight, stay very mobile, very hard to find and keep a high tempo and a high pace in every aspect. And just mix it up; high, low, high, low and you know I can work a lot of ground game and I could take this fight wherever I need to. And I’m very confident in any aspect in this fight. So I’m just excited to fight one of the better guys in the world and go out there and prove why I’m better.”
Cruz is on a seven fight win streak and is 6-1 under the WEC banner. He made his WEC debut in March of 2007 against Urijah Faber for the WEC featherweight title, losing by submission in the first round. Since then Cruz has gone on to win seven straight including, six in the WEC after making his drop to bantamweight. He defeated Brian Bowles for the bantamweight title in March of this year at WEC 47, and went on to defend it against Joseph Benavidez at WEC 50 in August, winning a split decision to retain the title.
HT: UFC.com

No comments:

Post a Comment