Friday, August 17, 2012

With Curran Injured, Patricio ‘Pitbull’ Wants To Avenge Loss Versus Joe Warren

          Patricio 'Pitbull' Freire (L)

Brazilian featherweight Patricio ‘Pitbull’ Freire (17-1) was to have fought for his first world title on August 24, 2012 versus Bellator champ Pat Curran, but an injury has forced Curran to withdraw from their Bellator 73 headlining bout in Tunica, Mississippi. Without a title to fight for, Freire wants to face the only man to defeat him inside the cage in former Bellator champ Joe Warren.
‘Pitbull’ spoke to Tatame.com about who he’d like to face recently with the withdrawal of Curran.
“I was going to train when I got a call and they said Pat had broken a bone on his face and that Bellator would be trying to arrange another match for me”, explained.
Still with no opponent, Patricio revealed having asked the organization to fight the former featherweight champion Joe Warren, only fighter ever to defeat him.
“I asked them for Joe Warren. This is a rematch I’m willing to do because my loss to him was very controversy, but I guess I won. Since there was this problem, it’s a great chance to really find out who the best one is”, said the Brazilian, who holds a professional record with 17 wins and one loss.
Freire earned his title shot by winning the Season 4 featherweight tournament in May of last year. He suffered his only pro-loss to Warren in the Season 2 tournament back in June 2010, losing a split decision. Warren would go on to win the Bellator title, eventually losing it to Curran earlier this year.