Tuesday, July 10, 2012

MFC Mainstay Dwayne “D-Bomb” Lewis Retires


The longest-serving fighter, and unquestionably one of the biggest fan favorites, in the Maximum Fighting Championship has decided to hang up his gloves for good.
Former light-heavyweight title challenger and 15-time MFC competitor Dwayne “D-Bomb” Lewis recently announced his retirement on his Facebook page. The announcement comes not as a major surprise as injuries have taken their toll on the family man over the past couple of years. Lewis had hoped to fight on the MFC 33 card back in May but hand issues forced that fight to the backburner. Although he had considered taking a run at the MFC 35 event coming up in October, Lewis opted to say goodbye instead.
“Finally making it official … I’m done fighting,” Lewis wrote. “I’ve had a blast. For five years I tried my best to put in as much time as I could to be able to compete. It’s just been too busy of a schedule for me to keep up with and compete with guys who train and fight full-time.
“I’ve met some great people and made some great friends. I’ve won fights that I shouldn’t have won and I’ve definitely lost fights I shouldn’t have lost but they have all been memories I will cherish. Walking away with a 14-8 record, 9 KOs, a 7-fight win streak and a ton of memories! Thanks to everyone who had supported me.”
The ‘Lewis Army’ may have lost its General but the leader won’t soon be forgotten.
“Dwayne was an all-time fan favorite, and a guy who gave his heart and soul in every fight,” said MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich.
“No one in MFC history was a better professional than Dwayne, and no one was more respected. He was a blue-collar, working man’s hero.”
Lewis’s MFC run didn’t start off with much of a spark. In fact, a 17-second knockout loss to Aron Lofton nearly finished his career for good, but in true ‘Cinderella Man’ style, Lewis rebounded in astounding fashion. Lewis tore through his next five opponents beginning with a 31-second, one-punch knockout of Jason Kuchera at the inaugural Heat XC show.
The impressive streak featured arguably the biggest win of Lewis’s career when he put a resounding stamp on a first-round knockout of Marvin Eastman at MFC 23. Following a setback against former MFC champ Emanuel Newton, Lewis regained his footing once again with back-to-back wins over Mike Nickels (first-round knockout) and Razak Al-Hassan (unanimous decision).
Those victories catapulted Lewis into the crowning achievement of his career – a shot at the MFC light-heavyweight title. But Lewis came up just short in his bid at MFC 28, dropping a third-round TKO via doctor’s stoppage against rival Ryan Jimmo.
Plagued by injuries including serious back problems, Lewis was sidelined for a year before returning at MFC 32 but he couldn’t come through in another comeback bid as he was stopped in the first round by a resurgent Wilson Gouveia.
“To my fans, friends, and family who stuck with me through my five-year roller coaster ride … thank you so much. It has been incredible,” added Lewis.
“Having the ‘Army’ of supporters follow me to my fights, cheering me on, and chanting my name will forever be etched in my mind and heart. Big thanks to the MFC for giving me the opportunity to compete on such an incredible stage. Also a big thanks to my coach, trainer, and brother Sandy Bowman for getting me involved in the sport.
“I’m putting down my MMA gloves and picking up my wife and kids and moving on.”
The entire MFC management, staff, sponsors, and fans bid Dwayne heartfelt congratulations on his career and best wishes in all his future endeavors.