Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Nate Marquardt Tired Of Talking TRT, Wants Media/Fans To Focus On Strikeforce Title Fight

 For former UFC fighter Nate ‘The Great’ Marquardt (31-10-2) getting the media to focus on his upcoming welterweight title bout with Tyron Woodley for the vacant Strikeforce strap is proving to be a challenge.
The media are constantly asking him questions about his previous use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy and how he is adjusting to things now that he’s confirmed that he is no longer using TRT.
Marquardt is set to face Woodley on July 14, 2012 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon in the co-main event of the Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy event on SHOWTIME.
Speaking during a media call on June 26, Marquardt explained to reporters that he is getting tired of answering the same questions about TRT and would like to focus on his title fight with Woodley.
“It’s one of those things, it’s been challenging. I’ve had to find a lot of ways to combat it and I’ve had to change my training schedule, but the bottom line is I’m training hard and I feel great. I’ve felt like this before in training and done awesome. It’s one of those things, I just want to move past that point in my life. I’m so sick of answering TRT questions, to be honest. You would think the media would want to talk about something new anyways. It’s kind of old news. I’ve got a title fight coming up and I feel great and that’s the bottom line.”
Marquardt hasn’t fought since March 2011 when he won a unanimous decision over Dan Miller at UFC 128. He had been scheduled to face Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4 in June 2011 but after failing to receive a Theraputic Use Exemption for the use of TRT, and a high T:E test before the events weigh-ins, Marquardt was released from the UFC.
The fighter then signed with the UK based BAMMA promotion but failed to even debut with them. Eventually both sides came to an amicable split and Marquardt signed with Strikeforce.