Thursday, March 8, 2012

UFC Heavyweight Pat Barry Says Fans Love Him Because He Is “An Everday Regular Guy”


Fan favorite and Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight, Pat ‘HD’ Barry (7-4) has his next fight scheduled for this May in New Jersey when he meets former Strikeforce fighter Lavar Johnson on the main card of the UFC on FOX 3 show.
Barry has been a fan favorite for awhile, using his humor to win over fans as well as his heavy handed knockouts.
During a spot as a guest on the SiriusXM Fight Club, Barry offered his thoughts on why fans are so in to him.
“I think the difference… I’m still learning as I’m going, as I do this what I think that the people are…what I know they are gravitating towards more than anything else is that I’m straight flat honest. You know what I mean, I got no (grumbles) ‘I’ll kick you in the face,’ I’ve got none of the normal fighter lines and what not. I tell my everyday story and I think a lot of people are relating to that. That’s what they can do, they don’t look at me as sitting on top of a mountain at some level they can’t reach, like Hulk Hogan or the Rock. They can look right or left and I’m standing right there next to them and they can see that this is an everyday regular guy who has ups and downs ‘like I do’. If he can do it, I can do it too.”
Barry and Johnson are set to meet on May 5 at the IZOD Center in East Rutherford, NJ in the opening main card bout of the UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller event.