Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Despite Recent Loss, Clay Guida Has No Plans To Leave Lightweight Division



Fan favorite, Clay ‘The Carpenter’ Guida (29-12) is set to step back into the Octagon on June 22, 2012 against former contender Gray Maynard in the main event of an upcoming UFC on FX show.
Guida enters the bout on a No. 1 contender loss to current champ Ben Henderson last November at the first UFC on FOX event.
Despite facing a physically bigger opponent in Henderson, Guida has no plans on leaving the lightweight division like other fighters who have failed to find success in the past.
During a segment of “The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo” Guida talked about his loss to Henderson, the title bout between Henderson and Frankie Edgar, plus more.
“I haven’t felt outmuscled even against Henderson – he just outpositioned me. Until that happens I don’t have a reason to go to 145. I’ve made my stake in the lightweight division and on June 22 I’ll make my stake even deeper. I’ve been here a long time and I want my lightweight belt before I make any moves.”
Also featured on Monday’s podcast were Bellator color commentator Jimmy SMith, Score Fighting Series fighters Forrest Petz and John Alessio, Antonio ‘Bigfoot’ Silva’s manager Alex Davis, and media personalities Ben Fowlkes and John Ramdeen.