Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sarah Kaufman Wants To “Really Open Up” Against Alexis Davis At The March 3rd Strikeforce Event


And she isn’t talking about her feelings either.
Former Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champ Sarah Kaufman (14-1) really wants to let her hands fly once she steps into the cage versus opponent Alexis Davis (11-4) this Saturday as part of the Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey event in Ohio.
Kaufman is looking to regain her title and she feels that a good showing versus Davis will earn her that shot.
The two fighters have met before back in 2007 which saw Kaufman finish the fight via third round TKO.
As Kaufman tells it, at one point she threw “something like 27 punches without her really throwing anything in return” and wants to return to put that type of pressure on her fellow Canadian this weekend.
“I’m looking at this fight like Alexis is tough, she is willing to throw strikes to get to where she wants to be, and I just want to keep striking on the feet or on the ground – I don’t care where it is. I like the thought of having a fight like that and having a fight that fans will hopefully be able to say that was awesome, explosive, and exciting, and that these are the girls that should be fighting for the title. The title fight could be great or it could be a grinder, with Ronda in question and not a lot of technical striking between the two of them. I am interested in seeing what happens in that fight, but I would love for our fight to overshadow them.”
“…I like to throw combinations and I like to let loose, and in doing that I like getting hit. It’s fun getting hit and hitting people back, seeing how they react. I love seeing people start to break and start to get mentally tired because I know that I can keep going and I know that they can’t. That’s what really fuels me to really let loose and really open up. I want to go back to those earlier fights like against Alexis, where I threw something like 27 punches without her really throwing anything in return. I need to get back to that. I need to put even more pressure on. I think I may have some surprises coming into this fight in how I’m going to be fighting. I think the big difference in this fight is that I know Alexis is going to come to trade some strikes. That in itself will give me the opportunity to showcase what I’m really good at and what has gotten me this far.”
The two female fighters meet on March 3, 2012 on the headliner of the preliminary card for the Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey event, which is set to take place at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Fans can catch their bout live on Showtime Extreme.