Monday, February 27, 2012

Jacare’ Souza Is Expecting A Tough Fight Versus Bristol Marunde On March 3rd



Former Strikeforce middleweight champ Ronaldo ‘Jacaré’ Souza (14-3, 1NC) isn’t expecting an easier fight just because he had an opponent change with a couple weeks left to go. Souza had been training to face undefeated fighter Derek Brunson on March 3, 2012 on the Showtime broadcasta for the Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey event. Unfortunately Brunson was not able to obtain his license from the Ohio State Athletic Commission and was eventually replaced by promotion newcomer Bristol Marunde.
Marunde is no slouch, having won four straight and is 10-1 in his last eleven bouts, which includes capturing the Superior Cage Combat middleweight title.
Speaking to Tatame.com, Souza talked about his preparations for Marunde as well as his thoughts on the SCC champ.
What did you change after they replaced your opponent?
They’ve replaced my opponent but I did not change my trainings. I keep training Jiu-Jitsu a lot, Boxing on its proper amount and an intense cardio training. Now I gotta get there and cut weight. That’s my greatest difficulty now.
What do you know about Bristol Marunde, who is a debutant at Strikeforce?
I’ve seen his last four wins, which were good over tough guys. He is not unknown. You only need to look for him and you’ll see he has fought tough guys, he has beaten former UFC fighters. He is an excellent athlete, I gotta be smart about this fight. I could tell he has strong hands and that he’s a good wrestler, complete.
Do you have a game plan set for him?
Fighting is all about the game plan, I gotta know my opponent. I’m trying to get to know him so I can find a way to fight him. This is my greatest difficulty now. He said he wants to stand-up against me… He better be careful with what he wishes for because he can go down.