Sunday, October 30, 2011

Damon Martin: GSP on Nick Diaz: ‘I’ve Always Wanted This Fight, Now I Want It Even More’

UFC champ Georges St-Pierre and Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz
UFC champ Georges St-Pierre and Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz
“Where you at Georges? Where you at mother (expletive)? I don’t think Georges is hurt, I think he’s scared. I think he’s scared to fight everybody right now. Where you at Georges?”
Those were the words of a victorious Nick Diaz after his unanimous decision win over B.J. Penn on Saturday night as he taunted UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, who was sitting cage side watching the action.
St-Pierre kept smiling through it all, but apparently there was an anger burning inside of him the entire time because as soon as he got a chance to speak to UFC President Dana White his message was clear.
He wanted to fight Nick Diaz now.
“This is what I wanted since the beginning. Let’s do what was supposed to be done originally,” St-Pierre said after UFC 137 ended. “I’ve always wanted this fight — now I want it even more.”
Unfortunately, Diaz’s title shot comes at the expense of Carlos Condit, who now must get back in line and fight another opponent instead of St-Pierre.
Regardless of that situation, St-Pierre sounds ready to get back into training camp as soon as his injured leg will allow him, and February can’t get here soon enough.
“I can’t wait for Super Bowl weekend,” St-Pierre stated.
If all goes accordingly, St-Pierre and Diaz will face off as a part of the Feb 4 show in Las Vegas in what could only be described as a grudge match for the ages.
It’s rare that St-Pierre shows quite so much emotion, but Diaz has found a way to get under his skin and the two fighters will settle things in the Octagon in 2012.